Facts & Stats
- The estimated value of corn and grain sorghum produced in 2015 is $296 million, down more than 20-percent from 2014.
- In 2015, Arkansas farmers planted 435,000 acres.
- The overwhelming majority of Arkansas corn is irrigated using furrow or pivot irrigation. Irrigation allows Arkansas farmers to significantly improve yield and manage the drought risk we face each year.
- Roughly 70 percent of Arkansas corn will be used in state to feed poultry and other animal operations; the remaining 30 percent will be shipped down the Mississippi river for export.
- The basic rule is that corn grown more than 35 miles from a river port will be hauled to a feed mill.
Arkansas Corn Records
- Acres – 1921 at 2.46 million acres (prior to soybeans entering the crop mix)
- Production – 2013 at 161 million bu
- Yield – 2013 at 187 bu/acre
Arkansas Corn Facts
|2015||5 Year Average|
|Production * (bushels)||80,910,000||107,238,000|
|Value of Crop||$296 Million||$567 Million|
* - bushel = 58 lbs
** - 2015 price is a conservative estimate